August 25, 2007

Update

I have been dreading writing this post. So here we go.... my little boy Aidan (4) has been really sick over the past couple of months and the doctors thought it was a virus for a while. Last Friday we were sent to a bigger pediatric hospital in another town and they ran some tests...bone marrow aspiration specifically, and diagnosed him with Leukemia (ALL). The doctors, who are wonderful, all say that his prognosis is excellent and that it's the most curable childhood cancer. I know he will be ok, but this has been....

There is so much to report, but I don't have the time so, for right now I'll say that he's doing great. They started him on chemotherapy last Monday coupled with steroids and he's actually feeling better now than he was before. He's a little trooper and is handling everything so well. I am so proud of him for being so strong. He's such a sweet boy too. He gets to come home this coming Monday and we're so excited, but I'm also terrified because then he will be in our care. Every week he will have chemo and as time goes on it will be once a month. My biggest fear is that he will get sick while his immune system is so comprimised.

Regarding Nursing School: School started back on Monday, but I wasn't there. I wrestled with what to do. My first instinct was to put it off, obviously, but my husband wasn't having it. He developed a plan where when I am at school, he will stay with Aidan and no one else. I do feel better knowing he's going to be home and not at daycare or something, but....sigh. We were told he will be fine as long as he doesn't catch a virus or something, which is hard when you have 6 people in one house. The nurses, social workers and family members all encouraged me to get it done so then I can relax and take my time getting my liscense, but it's a hard decision to make. I've never been more torn. This is so difficult. I have 2 months of class left... In an instant our whole lives changed, our paths redirected and plans put on hold. We're overwhelmed, stressed, devestated...every emotion you can feel. Most of all, we just want Aidan well. His well-being is all I care about.

I decided to give it a try, but if it doesn't work then I will withdraw. At this point, it's a now or never thing, because I could care less about school now.

This last week has felt like a nightmare, but as the shock wears off and we're more informed I feel a little more in control of the situation. I'm not weeping every 5 miniutes now, but can make it past 20, so that's a good sign. I know God is watcing over our whole family and has brought us down this road for a reason and we are putting all of our faith in him and giving him our pain and fears because they are sometimes too much for us to handle alone. He will bring us through this stronger, I just know it.

On a happier note...yesterday Aidan had a special visitor in his room, just my luck I wasn't there, but at home taking care of my other boys....if you've read my blog before then you'll know how much I admire this person for all his does and how inspiring I think he is. Plus I really think he's hot. :-)



It's Andy Baldwin the Navy Lieutenant/Doctor/Humanitarian/Triathalete/Last season's Bachelor on ABC. He and some people from the Navy came to the unit and visited the kids. He made Aidan an honorary sailor. :-) I have a video of the meeting and will post it when I can. Life is really crazy now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your little boy. I've been a lurker for a long time and never posted a comment before but this definately warranted one. Your family will be in my prayers. I know Aidan will overcome this. I'm just so sad over this, I feel like I know you personally (as dumb as that sounds!) and to hear this just breaks my heart. If you need to talk or anything (I know you don't know me but still) you can email me at babypookie04@hotmail.com

Christy said...

Thank you Lindsey. Everyday is a challenge, but also a day toward Aidan's cure. I appriciate your prayers and your kind post. :-)
Christy

Unknown said...

God Bless you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers. Gina

Christy said...

Thank you Gina.

Robert said...

Ugh. My heart breaks just reading this, even though I knew it was coming.