March 11, 2008

My first shift as a real RN!

First of all...thanks to all my blogger buddies for your heartfelt congrats. It means so much to me :-) Now that I have more time I will be able to check your blogs more and keep myself updated with how everyone is doing!!

My first day...well let me say I'm still in orientation...I have 2 more days and then I'm on my OWN! I am very nervous and am sure I will have some terrible nights, but I expect it, as I'm still learning everyday and am still very green between the ears.

Today was a little nutty. I'm finishing up my days orientation and as everyone knows...days is complete chaos and mayhem, especially on a surgery floor. New orders, people going to surgery, doctors coming in and out, people coming from surgery, therapists everywhere, students...they always make me smile. It was just yesterday you know? Aside from all of that, it felt SO GOOD to sign RN behind my name today. Everytime I did I felt like I was doing something illegal and would be found out. LOL It will definately take some getting use to, but in a VERY good way. I felt like I was cheesing all day...so corny.

When I first got to work I still didn't have my license number, but my boss came up behind me and handed me a paper with my license number on it. I don't think I've ever smiled so big in my life! She hugged me and congratulated me and that set the tone for the rest of the day. Everyone really made me feel special...they even put up a banner that read Congratulations Christy, RN! It made me feel soooo good and proud. I have never felt such warmth ,it was just awesome. I got my big ole RN badge and it felt like a medal of honor, I know it sounds so stupid, but that little plastic badge signifies so much in my life and I am damn proud of it too!

It's a very surreal feeling to have what you've wanted for so long, and to have really earned it! Only another nurse can really appreciate what it takes to become one and I am so grateful that atleast for one day, I was made to feel very special and appreciated. I will never forget it.

The goal is attainable with a lot of hard work. Never give up on your dreams, for anyone or anything, because the reward is priceless. I am a testament that anyone can have their dreams if they never give up.

Ok...enough with the ultracheez.

Peace & Love,
Christy RN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's awesome. So proud of u! 6 more weeks left of my semester and then on to my last - I cannot wait for August to get here! WOOHOO!

Nursapalooza said...

wow, how cool are you!!! RN= Real Nurse!