March 16, 2008

Nursing is a Nasty Business

Myspace Comments - IV Drip


So I was helping a doc remove a chest tube from my young client. The other nurse grabs the tube to help him remove it and didn't secure the tip as it came out and chest tube drainiage went everywhere...including in my hair and it even got on my forehead. Can you say NASTY? I was so grossed out. Luckily I had on my mask with a shield, otherwise it would have gotten in my eyes or worse...mouth. EEEWWWWW! The rest of the day I felt so icky. It was awful. So the lesson of the day is....mask, gown, deinately glove and stand back when anything is being removed from anyone.

I start back on the night shift ON MY OWN on Tuesday. I'm glad....days on my floor is like trying to work in the midst of a crisis at all times. It's the most chaotic thing and it really works on your nerves. Nights are difficult too, but much more mellow and less INSANE! I'm very scared about taking care of a team all by myself and I will be driving people crazy with all the questions, but it will also feel good to have some independance too. I'll let you know how it goes...I'm sure I will have a lot, or nothing at all to say, depending on how it goes.

1 comments:

Nursapalooza said...

That's great, I hope you have a great night!