December 20, 2007

Orientation or The Twilight Zone?




This week I have been doing the hospital orientation and it's been really hilarious nonsense. In the last 3 days we have learned the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, built a cell phone tower out of K-Nex, worked in teams to determine the right way to grow a world class tomato, written a mission statement for what we want in our lives, watched videos on the proper way to sneeze and cough, which was hilarious by the way and in slow motion no less with judges scoring the techniques, gave eachother massages-YES they made us do that, take an aerobics class....in my high heeled boots might I add, and spent about 1 hour total on actual hospital stuff such as the benefits packages and policies. THIS. IS. NOT. A. JOKE. What the hell? What about learning how to do the computer charting? Infection control? HELLO? Is this a hospital orientation or a group therapy session? I'm not so sure. I'm starting to wonder if I'm in the wrong class...

All in all it's felt pretty ridiculous, but atleast I'm getting paid now for all of my precious time spent. Is it just me or does it seem like the road to becoming a nurse is more about the BS than actual nursing? I just want to stick people with needles. Is that too much to ask? Luckily tomorrow is my last day and then I go back on the 27th for who knows what. We'll probably be laying on a sofa telling about all the bad things our mamas did to us over the course of our lives. Geez....I'm just ready to work already, well maybe not. LOL

Tune in tomorrow...I'm sure I'll have a good story to tell.

0 comments: