November 5, 2008

Oh Happy Day :)


What a day. We have a new President of the United States....Barack Obama. I am so proud of America today. Proud that we, as americans, have come so far to see beyond the color of one's skin and to look forward to our brighter future that lies ahead. america has spoken and they want CHANGE. They want the hope of a new world, new ideals and a new voice in Washington. We have been lied to and abused and led into a near recession and are standing up and speaking out and shouting to the rooftops that we won't let that happen again! We don't want our troops to die in vain. We have a new voice now, a voice I personally believe in that can get us out of the big black hole that we are in to slowly come out of it and see sunshine again one day. 14 million more voters turned out for this election than the last. Doesn't that speak loud and clear? We have been heard.

President Obama (I love saying that) has so much on his shoulders. Many will love to see him fail....most of those being who stood behind a man that tore our country apart. He will fail, as they all do, he will make mistakes, as they all do, but he will do all of those things with the best of intentions, as many have not. He has Americans, real Americans, in mind. He knows the power he now has, the great responsability that he will carry. The reason this election was so important was because we are in such dire straits and we elected this man to bring us out of it because we had the most faith in him. As Barack said in his speech....it may not happen in 4 years. It probably won't, because it has been years and years in the making. He has the biggest job of all....to see us through this and he will be picked apart for all his efforts by republicans. I have the greatest faith that he is the only man for this enormous job.

I was without words last night when he was announced our new President. I cried. I cried because we have waited for so long and because it was such a moment in history and I felt glad to be a part of it. Our first African American president....wow! Regardless of that...I don't think America voted for him because he is black, that's a ridiculous notion. American voted for him because of the man he is and his policies and optimism for our future. You would have to be blind not to see that in him. On the other side of this equation is equality. To know that someone who was once not allowed to vote because of the color of their skin believed in himself enough to rise above prejudices and to go all the way to the White House....well, that's just fabulous. There are no words for that.

To those of you who feel "ashamed" of America for voting the way they have and hope that God will forgive us someday (yes I have heard this).... To that, I also have no words. Judgement. God does not judge, but I see that you do. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is America after all, however that is just too low for words. If you want to be ashamed of anyone, be ashamed of the mess that was George W. Bush that you voted for!!!! Because he has corrupted the White House and you put him there, does that also mean that God is judging you? Please don't be hypocritical people. It is not christian to judge. A wise man once said...."I have a dream that a man will not be judged by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character." .....and so he was. :) There is certainly no shame in that.

As I said...America has spoken and we are no longer the minority in our own country. There will be people baring their teeth like rabid hungry dogs just waiting to say..."I told you so" and to take a bite our of our President, BUT he is now your president too, whether you like it or not. We can stand together or we can stand divided. SO please remember that this is a lot on one man and he has so much to do to clean up the biggest mess we've had in a century. I believe he can. I know he can...one step at a time. I am PROUD to be an American today and can't wait to see the change in our future and I know that God loves me regardless who I "vote" for, just as he will forgive those for judging us for it.

As you can tell I am very passionate about this, but that doesn't mean I am so passionate that I throw daggers. I believe that John McCain really is an American hero, as I've said in a previous post, but it wasn't his time. If he had ran before W. would he have won.....probably so. Do I believe he picked the wrong VP candidate? Yep. That was a political move entirely and America was smart enough to see through that. John McCain is a good man, a man to respect for all the sacrifices he has made for our country...he's a real and true American. Isn't it also "american" to come from Africa, have a white mother, a black father who worked 2 and 3 jobs to make ends meet to and to go all the way to Harvard because you had a dream? That is also very "american". What can be more american than realizing the american dream? You can judge a man by his sacrifice and his character and I believe they both have all of that and then some. McCain's concession speach was so eloquent, sincere and gracious. I feel that he is a great man and I am glad he has the strength of character and enough love for our country to stand behind our new commander and chief.

All right....enough of that :) I am a very happy and proud American today. Government of the people, by the people, and for the people....that's what I'm saying. I am so proud and moved. No one can take away my joy for having the "audacity of hope".

God bless you and God bless America :)

1 comments:

Robert said...

I'd like to respectfully submit that people from both sides of the election are being nasty.

Personally I've never been so proud to have voted for McCain than in the middle of the utter dignity of his concession speech.

I'm afraid for our country's future, but I'm very, very hopeful.