April 7, 2007

Renal Calculi Sucks

So, the last few days I've noticed my kidneys were hurting. I knew what it was....kidney stones. I get them a lot. A lot more than one person should anyway. I always know when they're coming on and I was praying it wouldn't start until the end of the semester. I went to the local urgent care and told the nurse practitioner that I have a history of stones. All she did was a urinalysis and told me I had a raging UTI. I knew I had more than that. I kept telling her that it was in my kidneys, NOT in my BLADDER! Arg. She wouldn't listen to me. She didn't do an x-ray or anything. So I got my antibiotic and my pyridium (for bladder spasms) and left. I told her I was in serious pain. Did she not notice the tears rolling down my face? She must not have becuse she didn't give me anything for the pain. I think a lot of healthcare providers think that everyone is after narcotics therefore they don't want to give them to you. I AM NOT A DRUG SEEKER!!!! I just wanted something to help. So I took the meds as soon as I got home and then I started feeling the worst pain of my life. It was worse than childbirth, worse than anything I'd ever felt. SO guess what? Off to the ER I went. I prayed the whole way there that I wouldn't die before I got there because that is what it felt like...I was dying. I have an extremely high tolerance for pain. I never once cried when giving birth to my 4 boys and I was bawling last night. I knew I had no choice but to go to the emergency room. They gave me morphine, toradol and phenergan at once. I was pretty much knocked out, and am still feeling the effects right now. So if this doesn't make sense I'm sorry. ;-) They did a CT scan and found that I indeed did have kidney stones, lots of them, but they weren't obstructing anything, thank goodness and I have a horrible kidney infection. THey did prescribe me some pain medicine, but since I have a test next week I'll not take it unless I can't handle the pain anymore. The er doc couldn't believe this practitioner sent me away without anything for pain and he said she didn't even give me enough of the antibiotic. I'm so mad at her. I really want to call her up and tell her exactly how angry I am that she didn't give me anything for my pain and that she didn't listen to me when I told her it was my kidneys. SHe acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. I know where my kidneys are and I know that they hurt. Arg! Anyway, I probably won't call her because frankly my head isn't all there to argue, but eventually I'll let her know.

Moving on....they changed our test date from Monday to Thursday. I hope I'm able to study this weekend. I'm not sure I'm in the right state of mind to remember anything. Ha. I'll write more later...gotta go take more meds now...