February 13, 2007

Love Can Make You Stupid



I figured I'd go ahead and post this because tomorrow is not only Valentines day, but Wednesday and Wed is my super busy day. Holidays just don't mean as much to me anymore as they did when I was younger. I like Valentines day, but I won't fold up and die if I don't get any flowers. I remember when I was a freshman in high school I had a crush on this boy who didn't know I existed. He rode my bus and everyday I would try to sit as close to him as possible...without making it obvious ya know. His sister and I were friends and I'd go to her house for sleepovers, but the whole time I was scoping out her brother. He he he. He had a horse and I loved horses, grew up with them and loved any man who could ride. Plus he was tall, dark and handsome...who could resist? I'd watch him ride his horse and sometimes it seemed like he was riding in slow motion....a total movie moment. Anyway, he asked me one day if I wanted to go riding with him and I of course said yes. I saddled up the horse, he was impressed by that (snicker), and we rode off into the sunset....literally. I remember the sky was orange and pink and it was a warm spring day...a perfect time for a blossoming romance. We talked about....stupid stuff I'm sure because back then what else did you talk about? Ha. I think he started to "like" me that day, but he'd never ask me over/out whatever. I kept telling myself he was shy. Uh huh. Denial. So...getting to my point, Valentines day came and I got this fantastic idea. I'd send flowers to myself (yes, I really did that) at school and when I'd get on the bus, he'd see them and maybe then he'd realize just how in love with me he was and ask me out once and for all. A little competition never hurt anyone right? So, there I am with flowers in hand ready to board the big orange bus. I climb in the seat nearest the front so he'd be sure to notice me once he got on. I watched and waited and waited.............he never got on the stinkin' bus! If I remember correctly, he went home with a friend that day. How humiliating and DESPERATE of me. Geesh. LOL Some of the ridiculous things we did/do for love huh? I saw him many years later when I was, dare I say, looking pretty cute and there he was standing in front of me with his wife, who let me say wasn't very attractive, but I'm sure she's lovely ;), and he looked like he saw a ghost or something. He just turned and walked away. Weird. I never could figure that one out. Maybe he smelled my desperation and I probably turned him off with all the drooling and such. LOL Just kidding. Anyway...that was my stupid Valentines day moment. One that I'll never forget nonetheless.
Since then I've had far better moments, ones that I'll always cherish, but Valentines day just doesn't do anything for me. Yes, it's nice to be told you're loved and to get a sweet card....that's always nice, but I'd rather get my kids something cute and make them feel loved and special. My husband buys me flowers all the time, which means a lot more than when it isn't expected. He's always done nice things like that. :-)
So, for all you lovesick fools out there. I hope you have a wonderful Valentines day and get to spend it with your sweetheart.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Soulshine - reading your blog - and some others - inspired me to start my own as a nursing student baby. I can be found at rnsomeday.blogspot.com - Can I add you to my recently visited sites link? Thanks.

Christy said...

Of course you can...if I can add you as well :) Good luck in nursing school, and don't let my posts scare you. It really is worth all the stress. :)