November 16, 2007

She Works Hard For The Money

How do you spell gorgeous? P-A-T-R-I-C-K!




Well, I finally accepted the job that I wanted. It's a general surgery floor, basically anything but heart & lung surgeries and we get a lot of medical too such as pneumonias, diabetics etc. I'm super excited, but scared as all get out. It's a heavy floor with lots to learn, I just hope I can catch on fairly quickly. My official start date is December 17th, but she said she wouldn't make me work the week of Christmas...I'm not arguing with her. lol My new manager seems super nice and we laugh a lot together, which means she gets my twisted sense of humor. I love her already. I'll tell you what my starting pay is because I don't care if people know and I'm not pretentious like that. It starts at $18.65 an hour with 10% differential between 7p-11p and 12% between 11p and 7a. So basically, if I get technical about it, I'm making $20.51 from 7p-11p and $20.88 from 11p-7a. Which means I'm making roughly $250 per shift (before tax of course). Not too shabby. It beats working for free = precepting UGH! I'm not going to complain one bit about the money. I think it's a fair considering I'm so green between the ears. So, now you know what I'm worth. LOL. Between my husband and I we should do fairly well, so I'm excited about that too. I haven't worked in apporximately 5 years so, unless you count school as a "job" and I do because nursing school was the hardest, most demanding job I've ever had! (Notice I used past tense-He Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!)

I'm still precepting and was actually supposed to work today but I have a major case of GI distress. A-Hem! I don't know why I got this, but I have it and it would be very uncomfortable to be working right now. My husband was sort of sick all week and I think he passed his increased peristalsis onto me. Thanks doll.

Moving along...this week we had our community Wellness Day. It's basically a day that the seniors put together for the whole school and community where we have information about everything under the sun and we give free glucose checks, vitals, flu shots, cholesterol screening etc. We also supply refreshments, have giveaways and lots of other fun stuff too. It was nice, but I'm glad it's over, it was so much work putting it together and getting the other clases on board...yuck. Here are a few photos from the day and of some of the booths that were made:


Ha!







The ending note of this post...is school ever really going to end?

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Congrats on accepting the job!! And yes, school will end, it HAS to!! I won't survive much longer if it doesn't! :)

Christy said...

TY! And I hope you're right about school ending. It seems to go on and on and on and on and....
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!