January 31, 2008

Rat Race

OOPS she did it again. Britney's in a psych ward. That girl needs help. Moving on...

I've been working a lot of night shifts and with that I've basically been sleeping my life away. So far everything is going ok. By the time 4am rolls around I start getting really tired and have a hard time concentrating. I don't know what I'm going to do when I start to give report because by 7 am I feel like a zombie.

I'm learning a lot, but not enough to be on my own yet, which will happen in just a few short weeks. How scary is that? Every pt is high acuity meaning they have tubes coming out of places I didn't know possible. I'm not sure this type of nursing is quite my thing. What I am excited about is that I will learn so much. I fear it may take me a good year before I feel like I'm really getting it, hopefully sonner, but we'll see.

All next week I will be taking the Hurst Nclex review course. I will let you know what I think about it. After it's complete and my 120 hours are finished I will sit for my boards. My stomach does flips just thinking about it. I'm so nervous about that stinking test! So far, 4 people in my class have taken it and passed (they took Kaplan), so atleast I know it's doable. No offense to one particular girl, but if she could pass, I know I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm finishing up my last semester of pre-reqs and will be starting the nursing program in the fall. I will be working full-time through school, so I'm used to multi-tasking. My question is, working night shift, how do you spend time with your family, keep the house in order, have a life? What is your sleep schedule? I know I'll probably end up working night shift after graduation, and I'm nervous! :)

Christy said...

Hi Nikol...it is hard finding time, but somehow you do. Luckily on my new schedule I am working 3 days straight....which is going to be hard but then I'll have 4 days off afterwards to play catch up. My family pitches in to keep the house in order, but to be honest here...they eat a lot of takeout when I'm working and do a lot of improvising. Some people love nights, some hate it. I'm on the fence. I think I'd rather work days b/c I just can't get use to nights, but maybe over time that will change. Good luck to you and don't worry too much just yet. You never know what opportunities will come your way. 4 or 5 of my classmates are working days....it's possible. :)
Christy