March 26, 2007

Psych clinical tomorrow

I came away from my first day back unscathed. One more day down....CHECK!
Tomorrow is our 1st psych clinincal and I'm a little worried. I'm not sure I'm going to say the right things to the patients and then I'll bother them or feel stupid. We're told not to ask them anything, other than, how was therapy?, how's your day going? etc... I just hope the day goes by quickly... we're there from 8-5...long day for just observing. As much as I like psych as a subject, I'm not sure I'll like it immensely as a clinical. I'm usually really good conversing with people but when there's a script...sort of...it's different. We're suppose to use therapeutic techniques such as: Pt- "I want to kill myself". Me- "How does that make you feel"? Pt- "It makes me feel like shit dumbass." Me- "Oh." Then the conversation comes to an abrupt end and therefore it's not therapeutic. I don't even know if we can ask then why. Sigh, I'm confused about our role in this process...obviously. I guess we'll find out if all goes well tomorrow now won't we? I thought the psych portion of our content would be easier than med-surg. I'm not so sure about that now. There are a lot of new terms and such to remember. Lots of drugs too! Hopefully I do ok. I averaged my grade and I have somewhere around an 89% total. Not to shabby. My goal is to do the best I can so that I am not counting down how many I can get wrong on the final..that's a scary thing. I once could only get like 15 wrong ...of course I missed only 4 ;-), then last semester I could have failed the final and still passed so that was an awesome feeling. I think I'm going to go and make some note cards for the next test right now while I'm thinking of it...ta ta.

Christy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with psych. I am not looking forward to that when it comes either. Mental health is not a part of nursing I am interested in. I'm too naive, i'd believe whatever they told me. Let us know how it goes.

Robert said...

I think of all the rotations psych scares me the most.

Well that and my yeast lady I told you about last night...