March 29, 2007

You're Not Pullin' My Weeds!



Just wanted to check in. I didn't post much about psych because for one I couldn't find the words and two I just didn't want to exploit the kids. I know I didn't and would never give names or specifics, but I still felt awkward about it. Anyhow...I don't know if you noticed on my countdown calendar, but there is only 1 month remaining until 3rd semester is over forever!!! WOOT! Actually it's one month and a couple of days, but I like to think the end of April is the end. So what if I want to be in denial...it's ok.

I have been super busy. We have covered 8 chapters in psych already, and although some if it's common sense there is a lot of new terminology and stuff too. I think this test calls for me to break out the flash cards. I normally don't like to use flash cards, they've never really worked for me, but when there are a lof of definition type things I like to make them. It drills it in my mind. I have yet to make one...this weekend will be spent writing note cards...damn. I never get a day off. Boo Hoo. ;-) All 3 of my older boys are playing ball and have practice almost every day. I feel guilty if I even go and watch and I shouldn't feel that way. :-(

Do you remember when you were in "regular" classes and you'd buy a Meade 5 Star notebook and only use up one of the subject sections for notes? Ahhh...those were the days weren't they? I have one of those and it's completely full with writing on front and back. Yep. The whole damn thang! Bejeeezus! You'd think after all of that I'd be one smart cookie....think again. LOL Our final exams are comprehensive. Meaning all of that front and back jibberish is on one single, whomping, mega, top secret, under lock and key, this can be the end of your nursing career TEST! They keep stressing that we should already be reviewing that material, but frankly, who has the damn time? I know I don't. I spent 6 hours writing my IPR tonight...6! Then I ate and now I'm ready to drop dead until I have to get up and do it all over again tomorrow. BUT I'm not complainaing....I just don't know when we can cram that in.

The instructors say that half the class failed the final last semester. That's encouraging. I hear they're trying to do the final "weed out". They did it 1st semester and now they're doing it again. For those who haven't heard of this, it's basically the "heads" trying to make passing ridiculously hard to see who can hack it and who can't. They want to eliminate the weak and darned near kill the others in this process. I really don't understand this mentality. I understand that nursing is hard for a reason....peoples lives are at stake, but isn't there a big nursing shortage in America that we've all heard about non-stop??? If these people aren't educated enough to be an RN then they won't pass their boards, therefore they can't practice. It's as simple as that. Don't change the curriculum just b/c you want to lessen the graduating class. That's scary.

We have quite a few that are either on the border or closely under it. I'll be so sad if they don't make it. This semester was just too dang hard and long to have to re-take it. UGH x a gazillion. That would SUCK!!!!! I don't know if I could do this semester over again. I think I'd rather have my eyes scrubbed with shards of glass. They aren't weeding me out and that's all I'm gonna say about that. Hmmppf! We have 2 in our class now who are re-taking it b/c they failed last sem. Bravo to them for their stamina and determination. I just don't know if I'd have it in me, atleast not so soon anyway. Unfortunately, I think one of the girls is failing....sigh. I just don't understand this. Yes, they change the tests, but it's the same material. Don't you already have all of these notes? You have an advantage here....TAKE IT! I don't know about you all but the most time consuming thing for me is re-writing class notes in a orderly, studyable (another one of my made up words, I think) fashion. SHe should already have this material, most of it anyway. She's really nice too, I feel bad for her. I don't know if it's a cognitive thing or a I just don't study thing. I believe she's missed a test too. In my program, if you miss a test you have to wait until the end of the semester to re-take it. That's crazy. Can you imagine studying for a 9-10 chapter neurological exam while taking 2 psych tests and studying for the final? It's kind of impossible to do really well. Most ppl shoot themselves in the foot. I've yet to miss a test, knock on wood. Uh-oh, I hope I didn't just jinx myself. EEEK!

Alright, it's really way past my bedtime. I'm outta here,

Peace out!

0 comments: