April 9, 2009

Back At Square One

My first day on the orthopedic unit went well. I don't know what I was so worried about. Afterall, surgery is surgery and if I know ANYTHING, it's surgery patients. What I don't know well is how to chart on a hundred different pieces of paper. I think I filled out an entire edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. I hate the charting. There are entirely too many columns and spaces about as small as the tip of a pen. I need to use a magnifying glass just to be able to read some of that crap. What is this, ye olden charting? Why don't we just break out some rocks and chizel the vitals signs into them? Sigh. I know, it's only the first day, but some moments felt like my first day EVER!

I felt a bit clumsy and foolish at times. I kept getting lost and because the unit is a mirror image of itself, it was like groundhog's day over and over again. 'Hmmm, I think I've been here before'. (scratching chin) Every door has a code and every code is different. That is just so cruel to a new employee! Not only was I walking
in circles, but I somehow lost the ability to also open doors. Once I couldn't remember the code to the elevator, so I just said screw it and took 6 flights of stairs. I....could....barely....(huff-puff-puff) breathe.

Despite the Flinstone charting system, the patient's rooms are nicer than some hotel rooms I've been in. I had to double check the bathrooms to make sure there wasn't a jacuzzi and big fluffy bathrobes inside. They also have room service which is a fancy way of saying....you can actually pick your hospital food and have it sent when you're ready. A nice touch, nontheless. It's the little things that matter so much. For instance, you just place your cup under the ice despenser and voila, ice. No cup crushing buttons to press, just ice. Same with the water....ooooohhhh, ahhhhh! It's a miracle, or a sensor, but it feels like a miracle when you are trying to multi-task. :)

I left work feeling a little (a lot) frazzled, but oh well. I'll learn and hopefully each time I leave, my head will be held a little higher. By the way, always look up when you hear loud car horns. Mkay?

0 comments: