February 2, 2009

The Big Chill

Quoting Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman..."I'm in the dark here!"

Yep, you guessed it......still no electricity. Word on the street is that it may be Friday before we have power. (f word, f word, f word!)

Our days are spent cruising around town to avoid the cold of the house and to keep boredom at bay. However, the boredom part needs tweeking....still bored out of my skull. FEMA dropped by the neighborhood giving out food rations. I don't know what I was expecting, something like some Men in Black, federal agent type shit, but it was only the national guard dressed in fatigues. Not that that is a bad thing, it just isn't what I expected.

It's weird asking for food, like we're some poor paupers who are virtually homeless and needy. Hey, wait......that is us! Seriously though....all of our food is gone and replacing it may have us in the same situation a few days from now. I don't think it should hurt the federal government too much to help us with free food. Now if they could only provide warmth. Maybe I'll ask a couple of guardsmen over........LOL Joking!!!

I'm listening to Pink Flloyd... "Hey you...out there in the cold..." For a moment I actually thought he was singing to me. No, I'm not smoking mary jane, but it's very possible I'm high on fumes....

We bought a carbon monoxide detector, but I'm not sure it's working because I have had bouts of nausea, fatigue and headaches. The kids deny any of these symptoms, but they're also the same kids who will say they don't have a cold while green snot is running from their noses.

Tomorrow our big plans are to hit up the laundry mat for hours of mindless fluffing and folding and I can't wait! Never in a million years would I have thought I'd look forward to washing clothes, but I'm ready. Let me at it! While I'm talking about laundry mats can I let you in on a secret? When I was young and without a washer and dryer of my very own I use to venture to the local "mat" and wash clothes and I secretly envied the lady who worked there. She spent her day leisurely..... watching soaps, reading magazines, drinking tab and giving people quarters. The bonus was that she always smelled so fresh and so clean. I thought it looked like a fun little job. Yes, I wanted to be a laundry lady and to tell you the truth, it doesn't sound half bad now. Yes, it's official. I must be high.

While being without power in an ice storm I have discovered a few things....

-Ceramic toilet seats are dangerous. Proceed with caution!

-Snow is only fun when you have electricity.

- Candyland was created to bore parents to death

- Cell phones are a lifeline

-Boys stink!

-Hot showers are heavenly, but stepping out of them can be pure hell

-Generators are to winter storms as bikinis are to winter sales

-The men on the radio can become your best friends

-Flames on a stove top are mesmorizing

-Candle wax can make fun and interesting shapes

-Alcohol can make you think you're warm even if your toes are numb

-Never open the refrigerator

-Lady Ga Ga has a really interesting voice. I should know, I hear her every 5 minutes.

-Skyler has a really sharp witt and I'm just now appreciating it

-Soup gets really old

-It's ok to ask for help

-I miss my friends, online and in person

-Little to no sleep makes you have f'ed up dreams

-I'm glad I like my neighbors

-Board games were invented by someone who was really bored.

-Beyonce's Single Ladies song gets on my damn nerves

-I love Jesus because he is always there for me in my time of need

-I wonder what's happening on American Idol

-I am out of my comfort zone and miss my routines

-I never really had a routine

-I don't like feeling dirty (not that I didnt not like that before)

-Gas logs are a waste of money

-I think I love our cat, Toby

-My dog Wrigley is a big baby

-and most importantly.....I love my family even if they annoy the shit out of me.

It's supposed to get in the teens tonight. Oh joy! I'll be so grateful when the big chill is over. Can't wait for summer. I hope all my blog friends are well. Can't wait to be able to read all your blogs soon.

Xoxxoxoxxooxoxoxo

-

2 comments:

Gone Fishin' said...

Christy you've done a a great job of hanging on to your sense of humor thru this!!

We had the same thing happen a few years back after an ice storm. It sucked hard. Best of luck, and I hope your power miraculously turns back on in the middle of the night tonight :)

Order & Chaos said...

You are welcome to come over here to Virginia!!! We don't have a big house, and having 6 boys and two men would kill our last inklings of sanity....but you guys would be warm!!!