February 23, 2009

Where Does the Time Go?


Why is it that they grow up so fast? Every day I am thankful that my son is able to grow and remain healthy, at the same time I wish he would always stay my little boy...so sweet, loving, innocent, funny, naive, imaginative, caring, thoughtful, endearing and full of wonder. One day, he too will roll his eyes at me, slam the door because he's angry and call me names behind my back. One day, he too will think I'm a rotten mother who never let's him do anything he wants. He will be upset with me for getting grounded from the phone and for making him do household chores and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Every day I cherish this time in his life. A time when he is young and impressionable. Childhood slips away so quickly and so many parents miss the little things, but not I. I watch him play with the bubbles in his bath and make funny shapes. I admire his ingenuity when building a tower made of play-doh. I write down the funny things he says that he doesn't yet know are funny. When he smiles, I smile inside and sometimes my heart feels full to bursting. I will try and remember every moment of his childhood, like I did with my other boys because those days can never be replaced. For now, I am glad he still is my baby. Small enough to still hold, yet big enough to have a conversation with.

I am so grateful to be a witness to his life and to watch him unfold into a kind human being. I am so blessed to be the mother to these 4 wonderful boys and I am so grateful that I am able to say that Aidan is healthy and full of life. SO many parents lose their children to cancer and he is still fighting. He actually takes his medicine on his own now. He knows everyday he takes the same pill and on Thursdays he takes 6. It's supervised of course, but somewhere inside of him, lying under his childish demeanor, he feels the weight of his illness and the importance of his medication. The gravity of it sometimes knocks me off my feet, but as long as he can smile, so can I. He seems so mature for his 6 years, yet still young enough to have his spirit shine. I am fortunate to have gotten to witness this miracle in his life, in all of our lives. I am so proud to be the mother to my boys. Each one of them makes me proud in their individual ways.

I am very blessed.



1 comments:

Order & Chaos said...

Beautiful tribute to a beautiful boy! I thought of you guys in class the other day. One of my classmates gives horseback riding lessons to a little girl that was diagnosed with leukemia at 3 years of age. She is now a healthy 10 year old. I love the stories of strength and survival!