May 14, 2007

"You want me to do WHAT?"


I hope everyone had a happy Mother's Day. I know I did. It came complete with homeade cards, which are my favorite kind, cute little things that my boys made at school and a spa package from my husband. I have hinted for a little while that I wanted a massage, from a professional. Now that I got my wish, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't know how I feel about a stranger rubbing all over my body...my naked body. Aren't you supposed to be naked during a massage? I'm sure they are highly professional and all that, but what do I say to them during the massage? Are you suppose to carry on a conversation or is it ok if you don't speak at all? If you don't speak at all, won't that be a little strange too? "Well, thanks for the rub down, that was great, bye." Do you tip them afterward? I just don't know pamper lingo. I'm not use to pampering in any way. I think I'm just making a big deal of this that shouldn't be made, I mean, c'mon, it isn't a big deal right? And I REALLY WANT A GOOD MASSAGE, but I don't know what to expect. I'm a massage virgin, I can't help it. I also got a facial, a manicure and a pedicure in my package, hopefully I can tolerate the pedicure, I don't like my feet touched....ever. Oi vey! Regardless of all that, I'm really grateful. Hell, I'd be grateful with just the cards, so please don't think I'm a spoiled brat. Well, maybe sometimes, but not about things like this. :-)

So I get a call today from an instructor who informs me that we need to come to class on June 11th for a meeting about the asthma camp we signed up to do in exchange for one clinical day during our 4th (did I mention final?) semester. I sit there on the phone...dumbfounded, shocked and not a peep escaped my lips for what seemed like minutes. I'm sure it was mere seconds, but I thought it was a practical joke. I hung up the phone and was speechless, and I'm never speechless. What? Wait....I thought this was summer break and we are not currently in school am I smoking crack? Did I hallucinate? Did she really just call to tell me we had to come to school...during a break? Seriously? Seriously!!? We have to present our teaching plans and our group projects for their authorization. First of all, this should have been done BEFORE the last day of class. We knew the date of camp, what their expectations are of us and what we're suppose to do....why not talk all this out BEFORE summer break?! I can already see that this semester will be unorganized and chaotic. Now, we have to get in touch with the rest of the group, who are also on their break and make a date when we can meet DURING OUR SUMMER BREAK and work on an assignment! Why do these instructors assume they own us? Do they not think we have lives of our very own, for the first time in a loooooooooooong time? They change the rules, they change the schedule, they change the calendar, but if you ask them to change a test date you'd think you were asking them for the first born. What's with these people? I didn't have a problem with asthma camp, I signed up for it of my own volition, but if I knew it was going to take this much time our of my break, which should be entirely mine, I would have scrapped the idea and did an extra clinical day instead. Yes, I'm being selfish. When it comes to my free time away from assignments and tests and classmates and instructors I'm pretty damn stingy. I have given all of myself and sacrificed so much of my free time for them and I just have trouble giving them anymore, especially when I'm not even in school. Arg! Anyway, there's nothing I can really do about it, but complain and hope that none of them ever read this blog or else I'm in for a rough semester. Maybe I should black out my eyes on my profile so I'm incognito. You know how they do in those magazines and below the photo it reads "What not to wear." You know those people see that photo and think "Oh God. That's me!" How can they not know? How embarassing. I'm getting off track. Ok, enough of that. I got it out and I feel better.

I'm actually excited about the asthma camp part. What's not to love about camp? I'm sure the day will be fun and we'll get a chance to talk to and teach the kids about their asthma and better educate them. I'm all about teaching, that's one of my favorite parts of nursing. Do you know that many diabetics that I talk to don't even really understand their disease? Do you also know that many people who have asthma don't even know the proper way to use their inhaler? That's scary. How can this be possible? Aren't they taught how to use it when it's given to them? Sigh!

Anyhow, this post is boring and I'm sorry. Sometimes I use this blog as my private gripefest that other people may just happen to read. Maybe you'll relate, maybe not. The point is, I feel better. Now, I'm off to watch the Bachelor and may post about it later.
Until next time....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm here to give you the lowdown on massage. You see, I am a massage therapist and had my own business for 4 years. I cannot live without it. I receive massage once per month but will increase it to 2 as finances afford it. You only should undress to your level of comfort. You will be covered at all times. I would advise you to remove everything but your underoos. It's hard to give a good back massage around a bra! You should utilize the time for yourself to focus on your body, breathing and relaxing! It is not necessary to talk to the therapist. The therapist should keep quiet unless you want to do the talking but it is not awkward at all. The therapist is focusing on their job as you will be focusing on your relaxation. It is a really wonderful thing. Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions. Oh yes, it is customary to tip the therapist based on the price of the massage.

Christy said...

Thank you for the input, this does help me feel more comfortable. I never thought anything about a massage until I was presented with the opportunity. I will definately try it and let you know how my experience was. I think it will do me loads of good considering I tend to wake up in the morning feeling as thought I slept on cinderblocks. :-/
p.s. Why did you give up massage?
Oh, and I don't plan on wearing my bra. lol