March 1, 2009

Paper or Plastic?


I have thought of purchasing the Amazon Kindle for quite a while. When I heard of this invention I was really impressed. I read a lot and there are times when I want a book and don't want to go to the bookstore or order one. I am an instant gratification shopper. I love the concept of online shopping, but I hate the wait. With the Kindle, you just download what you want and BAM, there is your book in your hot little hands in just a few seconds. Pretty groovy.

The features are also pretty cool:
- Kindle reads like the written page, no eye strain like with an LCD.
- Books are MUCH cheaper
- It saves paper ie: TREES
- No wi-fi is needed, so you can take it anywhere
- The battery lasts for days
- It has audio, so if you get tired of reading, just set it to audio and it will read to you
- Built in dicionary for clarification
- No monthly fees and no hassles
- Download books in seconds and more


The concept of this book reader is genius and it has a ton of great features.
This little device is just so smart. My reservations....the PRICE! It retails for $359.00! That's kind of ridiculous. How long would it before someone (Apple?) comes up with something cheaper, and quite possibly tweaked and a little better?

Another reservation I have is the book buying experience. I love the library and bookstores. I enjoy purusing various books and glancing inside the covers. I don't mind actually flipping pages. Never before has it caused an injury. I own thousands of books and enjoy being around them. Call me a weirdo, but I just like collecting them and I rarely re-sell. I have however thrown a book in the garbage because that is where it rightly belonged...bodice rippers can be so trashy and to think my grandmother reads those...BLECH!

What will become of bookstores if this product takes over? It's unlikely with the steep price, but what will happen when they come out with a much cheaper version? Will you buy it? Do you have a Kindle and if not, have you thought of buying one?

Will schools use this item instead of actual text books? The ideas are endless here. Technology...it's insane how far we've come. I was thinking about how lazy we've all become. I mean, you don't even have to leave the house to buy books or clothes and even groceries anymore.
computer addict Pictures, Images and PhotosI had this vision the other day of those container things that you have at the banks, you know the suction things? What the hell are they called? What if they were locally woven throughout our neighborhoods where you could have access codes to stores and homes? Think of the possibilities... LOL I need toilet paper...think I'll pay for it online and have it shipped to me....within minutes. Ooohhh, ahhhhhhh! No wonder there are no jobs, robots are taking over the world! And it's no wonder we're all so fat either, no one gets off their lazy asses anymore. Wait... that is me! I am one of those people. I am a techno junkie! I am typing away talking about how addicted other people are. Am I in denial? HELP! I would attend Technology Anonymous (T&A?)meetings, but I think I'll just take the online class instead. ;)

Photobucket

How did this blog go from Kindle to my secret life confessions? I don't know. Maybe it's the ADTD I have acquired. (Attention deficit technology disorder).

5 comments:

Gone Fishin' said...

I definitely would NOT want one for nursing school, because I have to be able to highlight and star and underline!! LOL I like seeing the whole big thing open in front of me and being able to see the "big picture". I wouldn't have that w/ the Kindle. But I think it's a pretty neat thing otherwise. :)

Christy said...

That's very true Kel. I am not only a tech junkie, but I also was a highlighter addict in nursing school. LOL I had different colors for everything too, maybe that's a little OCD, but it worked! One of the other cool features of the Kindle is that you can highlight things and save them for reference, so yea, they thought of everything. :)

Gone Fishin' said...

Ha! I'm not the only one with 4-5 different highlighter colors?? LOL

That is way cool about the Kindle!

PS ~ thanks for the blog comments and the well wishes in nursing school! :)

Robert said...

I've been toying with getting a Kindle as well, but yeeeeesh! $359?!?

Christy said...

I know! I hear Sony has an ebook reader too, but the price is no better really. Bummer.